[LRUG] [JOBS] Freelancer. And some reflections.

Louis Goff-Beardsley louis at infinitiumglobal.com
Mon Feb 27 03:33:41 PST 2017

What I’ve found with many of the ‘headphones-on heads-down’ developers is that if they grew up in the late 1990s on MSN messenger & IRC they often come out of their shells when working remotely. IM can be more familiar to them as their preferred mode of communication.

Some of the most close-knit teams I’ve seen have been fully remote but really tight socially in a similar vein to how some teenagers got engrossed and feel like they had a social circle on IRC channels & internet forums back in internet 1.0 days. With that level of remote IM based communication developed over decades, most of the points that Evgeny describes are a non-issues.

Where I’ve seen remote teams not perform so well, is where the wrong type of people have been hired or the leadership has not understood them. The important thing is for whomever is leading them to be similarly minded.

When you get it correct, the output can be much higher than an onsite team and the teams typically suffer from far less staff turnover than onsite London teams.

It’s my preferred type of team to build tbh.

Best, Louis