[LRUG] [JOBS] Freelancer. And some reflections.

Alex Coles alex at alexbcoles.com
Mon Feb 27 03:45:30 PST 2017

> On 27 Feb 2017, at 06:47, Thomas Buckley-Houston <tom at tombh.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Is this a common predicament? It can't only be Londoners that have
> anything near a genuine need for the kind of money software people
> earn? Is a 5 day week provably the most efficient use of a person's
> time? From a business perspective, perhaps there are cases where the 5
> day week is merely an unchecked assumption, arising from the
> irrational fear of losing out to the competition? Expressing such
> views gives me the uneasy feeling I'm instantly checked off a lot of
> company's lists: evidently I'm not a motivated team player capable of
> handling the everyday realities of life at the coalface of industry
> leading standards.

After having spent a couple months looking for part-time work, I can definitely attest to the fact that PT search is far trickier than finding FTE positions. Unlike Thomas, I did need the extra money, but had other reasons for not being able to work 5 days a week. I imagine that a good part of it is down to employer’s reluctance to invest in on-boarding part-time team members. Additionally, for recruiters part-time candidates are surely far less lucrative.