[LRUG] [JOBS] Freelancer. And some reflections.

Mark Burns markthedeveloper at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 23:10:53 PST 2017

I'd guess the main reason is the time zone difference. Plus when an
employer is looking for candidates if they open their options up to remote
working across the world, then suddenly the market size is huge. So if you
are considered then you'll be compared to a huge pool of vastly varying
quality and suitability. The decision paralysis that comes with that
probably factors in.

I'd guess that most companies choose to pay the London premium or do some
balance of off-shore teams/in house development. I've seen a fair few data
points where off shore work doesn't quite work, and I believe it's mostly
time zone and lack of real face to face communication that's hindered it.

So people are probably just wary of that.

Good luck though. I'd definitely do a similar thing myself if I could and
escape this London air.