[LRUG] No agencies please

Florian Gilcher flo at andersground.net
Fri Jan 20 03:31:07 PST 2017

As someone who runs a "cluster of freelance-like employees", I'm think that's a bit one-sided. There's a couple of upsides to the whole thing, even for smaller companies.

* Companies used to that model usually have no issue with sending you an employee for an extended period of time, as much "joining your tribe" as freelancers do.
* In contrast to freelancers, people at a fixed position at a company are _not businesspersons_, which means that they are not constantly on the lookout or searching for new clients or involved with their paperwork.
* Should there be the need to get more then 1 person, you can get a pair of people used to work with teams _and_ already be used to work together. It avoids freelancer-infighting, which is all too common.
* Good small agencies do train their employees on their bills and cross-train people in their cluster.
* In case of extended sickness or other disasters, the burden of finding replacement is on your supplier.
* Smaller companies have a much closer relationship with you. If you are frustrated by large recruitment agencies just sending you tons of resumes of which none really fit, a smaller, well-connected group might just know more fitting people by name.
* This includes that usually, referrals through such a supplier are cheap or for free if they cannot serve one of your wishes themselves.
* In general, supply risk is shifted to the supplier.

Obviously, all those are quality factors, so any company in question can be good or bad at all those. This means that we also have to charge more then an freelancer, but it's usually in a range much lower than what e.g. Hays charges just for connecting you.

It's just a very different relationship - bringing me even as far that I place my company closer to a collective (which, in some parts is true: all employees get income shares) then a classic agency. I think many misunderstandings stem from that.

Many people are just not aware that this class of companies exist and _have_ experience with the situations you describe. We also coach our employees to be well at the standards you describe, like how to join a team properly, even if you are just a temporary part there.

Best,
Florian