[LRUG] No agencies please

Louis Goff-Beardsley louis at infinitiumglobal.com
Fri Jan 20 02:44:55 PST 2017

I get approached by agencies all the time asking me to get work for them. I’ve tried numerous times, to find some way of making it work, but the stumbling block I’ve found is that most companies have existing teams and require extra developers to join the their team. What companies want is people who will become part of their tribe (usually onsite), not someone temporarily from someone else’s tribe (often remote).

Companies want to be able to invest in an employee, rather than commission a piece of work where they do not benefit from the long term professional development gained from the completion of the task.

Monetarily wise, employees and even contractors are usually cheaper.

Where I see agencies pick up the most work from start-ups is from getting in with VCs/Investors/Funds and being involved in the early stages with building the first versions of products. If it goes well, they are usually transitioned out and a permanent team is built.

I would suggest looking into larger corporate entities, identifying who commissions tech projects and pitching yourselves as an alternative to the large consultancies they usually use. Depending on the job  I think many small agencies could do a better job than the usual suspects, the challenge is breaking into the corporate culture and changing their old ways of thinking about commissioning work.

Best, Louis