[LRUG] Need advice on creating Model Type A with same data from Model type B

Jesse Waites jesse.waites at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 06:36:46 PST 2017

Thats awesome, tried that, get same error:

except_keys = [:id, :created_at, :updated_at]
=> [:id, :created_at, :updated_at]
[36] pry(main)>
r.assign_attributes(@newest_stat.attributes.except(*except_keys))

ActiveModel::MassAssignmentSecurity::Error: Can't mass-assign
protected attributes: id, created_at, updated_at
from /Users/enpro/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/activemodel-3.2.17/lib/active_model/mass_assignment_security/sanitizer.rb:48:in
`process_removed_attributes'
[37] pry(main)> r.assign_attributes(@newest_stat.attributes.except(except_keys))

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Toby Privett <tobyprivett at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> like the wrong way to do it, I want to do it programmatically. The columns
>> and datatypes are all the same.
>>
>> At the end of the day, I think I'd like to be able to do
>> ReportCard.create(:user_id => current_user.id, 6, 7)
>>
>> with 6 and 7 being the ID number of the reports I want comparisons from.
>>

>> I am trying it this way but am getting "wrong number of arguments:
>>

>> class ReportCard < ActiveRecord::Base
>>   belongs_to :user
>>
>>   attr_accessible :user_id, :oldest_report_stat_id,
>> :newest_report_stat_id, :num_active_and_licensed_aeds,
>>   :num_active_sites, :num_users_logged_in, :aeds_total, :aeds_compliant,
>> :aed_sites_total,
>>   :aed_sites_compliant, :responders_total, :responders_compliant,
>> :num_active_and_licensed_aeds_percentage,
>>   :num_active_sites_percentage, :num_users_logged_in_percentage,
>> :aeds_compliant_percentage,
>>   :aed_site_compliant_percentage, :responders_compliant_percentage,
>> :report_start_time, :report_end_time
>>

>>   def execute
>>     @newest_stat = ReportStat.find(self.newest_report_stat_id)
>>     @oldest_stat = ReportStat.find(self.oldest_report_stat_id)
>>     #@newest_stat.inspect
>>     @newest_stat.assign_attributes.each do |attr_name, attr_value|
>>       self.send("#{attr_name}=", "#{attr_value}")
>>     end
>>     # calculate_percentage_change
>>   end
>>
>> end
>>
>> Here is my rails console output:
>>
>> r = ReportCard.new
>> => #<ReportCard id: nil, user_id: nil, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil, oldest_report_stat_id: nil, newest_report_stat_id: nil, num_active_and_licensed_aeds: nil, num_active_sites: nil, num_users_logged_in: nil, aeds_total: nil, aeds_compliant: nil, aed_sites_total: nil, aed_sites_compliant: nil, responders_total: nil, responders_compliant: nil, num_active_and_licensed_aeds_percentage: nil, num_active_sites_percentage: nil, num_users_logged_in_percentage: nil, aeds_compliant_percentage: nil, aed_site_compliant_percentage: nil, responders_compliant_percentage: nil, report_start_time: nil, report_end_time: nil>
>> [2] pry(main)> r.oldest_report_stat_id = 6
>> => 6
>> [3] pry(main)> r.newest_report_stat_id = 7
>> => 7
>> [4] pry(main)> r.execute
>>   ReportStat Load (1.3ms)  SELECT "report_stats".* FROM "report_stats" WHERE "report_stats"."id" = $1 LIMIT 1  [["id", 7]]
>>   ReportStat Load (0.4ms)  SELECT "report_stats".* FROM "report_stats" WHERE "report_stats"."id" = $1 LIMIT 1  [["id", 6]]
>> ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (0 for 1..2)
>> from /Users/enpro/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/activerecord-3.2.17/lib/active_record/attribute_assignment.rb:66:in `assign_attributes'
>>

>> Any ideas? Maybe syntax error? Ive dumped way too much time into this and
>> need to move on to the rest of the feature. Thank you LRUG!

Jesse Waites
Web Developer
JesseWaites.com