[LRUG] [JOBS] Fight for human rights as a software crafter

Ketan Patel kp at survivalinternational.org
Mon Sep 18 03:14:45 PDT 2017

Software Crafter

Is your dream job to work with smart people, grow as a professional, and
work on challenging projects that expose you to interesting problems? We
offer all of that, plus your work will have a huge impact internationally,
as you will be helping Survival International, one of the most exciting
human rights organisations around.

About us

Survival International is the global movement for tribal peoples’ rights.
We’re the only organization that champions tribal peoples around the world.
We help them defend their lives, protect their lands and determine their
own futures.

We exist to prevent the annihilation of tribal peoples and to give them a
platform to speak to the world so they can bear witness to the genocidal
violence, slavery and racism they face on a daily basis. By lobbying the
powerful we help defend the lives, lands and futures of people who should
have the same rights as other contemporary societies.

Our vision is a world where tribal peoples are respected as contemporary
societies and their human rights protected.

Technical requirements

* Passion for software engineering and craftsmanship values.

* Great OO skills and strong design patterns knowledge. Functional
programming experience is also welcome.

* Knowledge of software best practices like refactoring, writing clean and
maintainable code, domain-driven design, encapsulation, clean architecture,
etc.

* Experience working with Agile, continuous integration, weekly iterations,
code reviews, etc.

* TDD, BDD, etc. Able to think of a test that forces you to write the code
you want. Able not to write any more code than required to make the test
pass.

* Able to do the simplest thing that could possibly work.

* Strict on keeping a clean git history. Heavy use and deep understanding
of rebase, squashing, splitting commits and fixup commits.

* Able to write commit messages that help document the "why" of the change
rather than the "what", providing useful context when looking at the code
months later.

* We work mainly with Ruby but welcome pretty much any other languages like
Elixir, Go, etc.

If you have these qualities, we really won't mind your specific tech stack.
We prefer you to have a solid foundation in the principles of good software
development.

Non-technical requirements

* Aware and realistic about own strengths and weaknesses.

* Excited about new technologies and constantly learning and keeping up to
date with the latest trends.

* The web team is dynamic, collaborative, transparent, and ego-free. We
will expect the same from you!

* Able to see the big picture and focus on what will help provide value to
the organization in the long term. You do not get distracted with "busy
work" and know how to prioritise tasks that give the most value.

* We encourage everyone in our web team to speak their mind and express
their opinions and concerns as we believe this is the best way for everyone
to be on the same page and move forward as a united team.

* Supportive team member and a team player.

* Comfortable pairing and mob programming. Works well with others.

* Our staff is international and discrimination is not tolerated on the
grounds of age, ethnicity, faith, gender, sexual orientation. You must be
comfortable working with non-technical colleagues, whose expertise lies in
other areas.

* Software craftsmanship training by any of 8th Light, Thoughtbot,
ThoughtWorks, Pivotal, and the likes, is an advantage, so if you’ve been
trained by them, mention it in the cover letter!

* We are an international organisation, so if you speak any other languages
let us know, as it is an advantage!

What is it like to be a developer at Survival International?

Most of our time is devoted to our multilingual site. It has a monthly site
traffic of around 200,000 unique visitors from all around the globe. It has
to scale and cope with huge spikes in traffic due to media interest,
increase sustainable traffic, and do it without incurring technical debt.

We use mob programming to start new projects and once it has shape and
direction we carry on with pair programming. From time to time we may also
code solo but we prefer to pair. We follow industry best practices and
build everything through TDD and BDD. We don’t merge anything to master
until it is reviewed and all tests pass. We work in incremental units and
weekly iterations.

Our current tech stack includes Rails, MySQL, several payment APIs,
Mailchimp API, Salesforce API, Amazon S3, Vimeo, TLS, Engine Yard hosting,
Cloudflare load balancing and DDoS protection, Git, and more. If you don't
have experience with all of these, or any of them puts you off, don't
worry! The web team you’ll be part of is slowly moving to a different tech
stack and architecture, and you will contribute suggestions and ideas!

Job details and perks

This is an onsite full-time role at our London headquarters. Salary is
£30,000-35,000 per annum.

You must have the right to work in the UK.

* We have a pensions scheme and generous annual leave ( 25 days’ holiday
increasing with length of service + public holidays + bonus days over
Christmas and New Year ).

* Being part of a small team, you will not be pigeonholed by your job
description. Your voice counts and we welcome your ideas.

* Your work is at the very foundation of our organization. Keeping our site
and services running smoothly across all of our international offices is
central to achieving our mission in the most efficient way.

* We strive to be an equal opportunities employer, with a close-knit and
friendly internal culture. We treat our employees well.

* MacBook Pro or similar.

* Annual international team get-together.

Interview process

* 15-20 minute technical chat on Skype
* Short technical assignment, fixed delivery time: 1 week
* In-person interview to know more about you, followed by a pair
programming test with somebody from the web team
* Offer & references

Deadline: September 30th, 2017
Interviews will start on: October 3rd, 2017

Please visit bit.ly/software-crafter to apply.