[LRUG] [JOBS] part-time Rails developer/maintainer for Open House London

Ed Davey ed at veryreal.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 01:09:43 PDT 2018

I’m looking for someone to take over maintenance and adhoc development on the codebase I developed for Open City last year as I am now working full time elsewhere.

It’s an excellent opportunity for someone looking for a long-term part-time gig.

The mandate was to overhaul the 25 year old systems used to deliver Open City’s annual Open House London programme -- which is a weekend in September when about 800 buildings which aren’t normally accessible open their doors to the public. The application which I built from Jan - Dec last year with a very small team is a Rails monolith. Its components include:

- visitors’ website for browsing buildings and planning their weekend (https://openhouselondon.open-city.org.uk)

- volunteers’ website for committing to specific time-slots at specific buildings

- back-office website for building owners to describe their buildings and their participation in the programme

- JSON api to power Android and iOS native apps

- XML presentation of programme information for import to InDesign for printed brochure

Interest or experience in architecture, education, training or Agile coaching would be an advantage in this role. Being able to pop into the Open City office near Aldgate East now and again is desirable, but not essential.

I will provide support to help ensure that things work out well on all sides.

Please contact me direct if this is of interest.

Many thanks

Ed