[LRUG] Beginner advice

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Tue Apr 10 13:39:16 PDT 2018

Hi Sam.

I’m sure you’ll get plenty of thoughtful responses to this question, but having thought about my journey for a moment, I’d suggest practice. And lots of it.

Reading books, following tutorials, reading mailing list threads are all really good ways to get an understanding of the ideas, but to convert these ideas into skills that you can draw on to build things, you need experience in trying to apply them. And the more you have, the more you’ll really learn.

Practice will also point out gaps in what you’ve learned so far that you didn't realise were there.

Once you starting to get comfortable with a technology/technique, try adding something else into the mix, returning to the tutorials for help.

So what do you practice on? I think that having a small project of your own to work on at the outset is ideal. It doesn’t need to be something that you ever release to the world, but it could be. Any problem that you’re motivated to solve will do.

Good luck!