[LRUG] [JOBS] Full-time Ruby developer

Ketan Patel kp at survivalinternational.org
Tue Jan 30 04:39:02 PST 2018

Are you a Ruby developer who'd relish the challenge of working for one of the most exciting human rights charities around?

Survival is the leading organisation supporting tribal peoples around the world. We're radical, uncompromising in our belief that tribal peoples should be able to take their rightful place in the 21st Century, and innovative in our use of technology. Our website is a vital campaigning tool, and we're now looking for a developer to drive its evolution in the years ahead.

We currently run a monolith Rails application that will be rewritten from the ground up as the objectives of our site have changed dramatically since its creation.

This is an exciting time to get in on the ground level of some exciting greenfield projects, most of which will be open sourced – so it’s a great opportunity to get your name out there in the open source community.

Being part of a small team, you will not be pigeonholed by your job description. Your voice counts and we welcome your ideas.

Technical Requirements

- Competent in Ruby and familiar with Rails or a similar web framework.
- Familiar with agile project management.
- Ability to write clean and maintainable code.
- TDD/BDD
- Git/Github
- Comfortable using a terminal on Mac/Linux

Non-technical requirements

Development is much more than just writing code. We would also like to see these qualities in our developers:

- Desire for learning and growing as a developer.
- Our team is collaborative and transparent so you must be willing to work in a team.
- Comfortable with pairing.
- Able to separate real work from ‘busy work’ and prioritise tasks accordingly
- Willing to speak your mind even if you think the rest of the team may not like hearing it. Issues discussed early and together keep the team moving forward as one.

Salary and perks

- £30-35,000, depending on experience.
- Training budget for books, courses and conferences.
- Pension scheme.
- 25 days holidays + bonus days over Christmas.
- Weekly all-staff tea and biscuits.
- Annual international get together.
- MacBook pro or similar.

Application process

- Submit your CV and cover letter, including links to any code samples you may have.
- Interview in our London office.
- Short pairing exercise with one of our developers.

To apply, submit your CV, and a cover letter explaining why you are the right person for the job via our online application form: bit.ly/survival-ruby-dev

- You must have the right to work in the UK
- Hours of work: Monday - Friday, full-time, onsite (10am - 6pm)
- 6-month probationary period.
- Location: London head office.