[LRUG] [JOBS] Campaign Technologist / Ruby Developer / Support & Testing Engineer

damilola odelola damzcodes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:28:01 PDT 2018

Hi All,

I just wanted to add my 2pence about working on 38Degrees' tech team. It
has been literally the best place I've worked, and as some of you know, I
haven't had the best experience in the industry but the last two years have
allowed me to stretch myself in really cool & interesting ways. I'd highly
recommend them, I'm leaving at the end of next month (one of the jobs is to
replace my role). I also really want to encourage anyone that isn't a white
man to apply, if you have any questions about what it's like to be minority
working at 38, I'd be happy to answer (I'm a black cis woman, with a
chronic, now manageable, illness but no physical disability).

Kindly,
Lola

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 8:29 PM Denny de la Haye <denny.d at 38degrees.org.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 38 Degrees is a UK political campaigning organisation.  You may have
> received an email or two from us over the years.  :)
>
> Our tech team currently consists of four people (plus our tech director).
> We now want to hire three more people, two for new roles and one to replace
> a member of the team who is moving on to a new role at Buffer next month.
>
> Our tech stack is mostly Ruby (Rails & Padrino), Postgres & Redshift,
> Heroku, and AWS (RDS, SES, S3, etc).  We work collaboratively with
> organisations like ours around the world - MoveOn, GetUp, LeadNow, etc.
>
> Our main office is in central London, and we also have an office in
> Edinburgh.  We're happy for you to work in either or split your time
> between both.  We do have flexitime and some working from home is okay, but
> these are not remote roles - you will be expected to be in the office most
> days.
>
> Our pay is not terrible but we're probably not going to compete with
> commercial salaries; we are a not-for-profit funded entirely by member
> donations.  These roles offer between 35k and 60k depending on skills,
> experience, and suitability.  You need to care about politics as well as
> money.  :)
>
> Although the organisation as a whole has more women than men (particularly
> in senior roles), our tech team is currently 3/4 male and white, and is
> about to become uniformly so.  I would really, really like to rebalance
> that situation.  As it says at the top of the jobs page, "We actively
> encourage applications from people with a variety of backgrounds,
> experience and perspectives. We particularly welcome applications from
> sections of the community which are currently under represented at 38
> Degrees."
>
> Job descriptions are here: https://home.38degrees.org.uk/about/jobs/
>
> Please do email me with any questions, or with your CVs...  :)
>
> Regards,
> Denny
>
> PS: I would prefer not to hear from recruiters at this stage, thank you.
>

> --
>
> Denny de la Haye
>
> Lead Software Engineer, 38 Degrees
> denny.d at 38degrees.org.uk