[LRUG] [JOBS] Senior Software Engineer - Cultivate - Edinburgh

Andy Robinson andy at cultivatehq.com
Wed Sep 12 02:48:01 PDT 2018

We are looking for an experienced software developer with an interest in
every aspect of software development, including the web stack and beyond.

*About Cultivate*

We strive to surpass expectations for technical excellence, using empathy,
honesty and collaboration to deliver the right solutions for our clients.

We work together, to solve fun and challenging problems, both internally
and with client teams. We value high quality simple and maintainable code.

Our work is as rich and varied as our clients with new things to learn
every day. Some of our clients include Deliveroo and The Government Digital
Service.

*The Job*

On a day to day basis you will be:

   - Collaborating with other engineers to share knowledge and solve
   problems
   - Mentoring and supporting others in your areas of expertise
   - Working on client projects to build new features and fix problems,
   either on brand new projects or existing systems
   - Contributing to internal processes and systems to improve the way we
   work
   - Interacting with testers, managers, user experience designers and
   other stakeholders

*Our Tech Stack*

Our work is still predominantly in Ruby (Rails), but we use Elixir on a
number of projects and are actively looking for opportunities to do more.
We also work with, or are interested in, many other languages
including Go, Rust,
Scala, and Swift. On the front-end we've been favouring React.

Where relevant and as much as possible we practice test driven development,
code reviews and pair programming.

*About You*

Ideally we’d like you to:

   - Be curious, empathetic and have a strong desire to continually improve
   - Have a strong grounding in the programming fundamentals that transcend
   a given language
   - Previous experience delivering projects in Ruby / Rails (or similar)
   - Be comfortable working collaboratively on problems
   - Be confident using Git / source control
   - Enjoy mentoring others and and have the ability/desire to inspire a
   learning/developing mindset in others
   - Be comfortable with automated testing and Test Driven Development
   - Have the confidence to offer well formed technical advice / guidance
   coupled with the humility to listen to others

*Other things we’d like but are not essential:*

   - Experience building microservices with event sourcing and breaking
   monoliths apart
   - Experience in Elixir / Go / Rust / Scala

*Benefits and Working Environment*

   - A focus on work life balance and keeping people happy and healthy
   - Flexible working arrangements where appropriate (including remote)
   - Optional Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
   - An annual conference budget
   - Profit share scheme (in which employees share 20% of the profits,
   twice a year)
   - 5% pension contribution
   - A smart phone

*The process*

Our interviews are designed to showcase your ability to think through
problems, write code to a high standard and work with other members of the
team. A large part of your time will be spent pairing with other members of
the team, so it's essential that you are comfortable with this way of
working and that you get to meet members of the team to see if we are a
good fit for each other.

Initial pairing - You will meet a member of the team for a short chat to
answer any questions you may have, then work on a small problem usually in
Ruby. This can be in person or remotely using screen sharing.

Pair programming half-day - The final stage is pair programming with our
developers and designers at the Edinburgh office. Recruitment is a
whole-team decision at Cultivate, and we find this an effective way to get
to know you and let you get to know us.

Whilst Cultivate welcomes applications from all sections of the community
and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that
all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full
work visa and where appropriate be registered under the ‘Worker
Registration Scheme’, or must hold a current work permit. Proof of identity
and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of
employment.

To apply send your CV and a covering letter to careers at cultivatehq.com

*Andy Robinson *

*Cultivate *| cultivatehq.com