[LRUG] Apache OpenWhisk adds support for Ruby

Asfand Qazi asfand at cloudership.com
Fri Sep 21 02:09:34 PDT 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 22:30, Riccardo Tacconi <rtacconi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Asfand, you can still run Ruby on AWS lambda, if you do not want to manage
> Kubernetes and a serverless layer like OpenWhisk. You just need to use a
> handler with a language supported by Lambda and then passed the request to
> Ruby. The deployment can be done with Terraform, for instance.

Absolutely, you can do that. I have in fact done that to run code in Ruby,
supported by a Python shim that AWS Lambda supports.

Not only did having to start up 2 interpreted languages add a huge amount
of startup overhead (a couple of hundred milliseconds each), but the
deployment artifact had to include not only the Ruby code, but the Python
code, and an entire Ruby interpreter. It weighed in at around 50MB!

Plus, the amount of work done in Python to pass the context to Ruby, and
then receive it back and massage it into a state that can be passed back as
a Lambda response, was more than the work done in Ruby itself.

We need native support from the cloud providers for Ruby.

Regards,
    Asfand
    cloudership.com