[LRUG] [JOBS] We're looking for an experienced Rails developer to join the team

Ed Jones ed at error.agency
Mon Apr 29 03:06:28 PDT 2019

Hi folks,

We're still looking for an experienced developer to join the team at Error. We primarily develop in Ruby / Rails, although having skills in other languages would be a distinct advantage. We are open to part-time work and particularly encourage under-represented groups in tech to apply. We have a strong remote-working culture, and work 4 days a week.

We design and build websites, web applications and the occasional mobile app, as well as running a hosted software product which we use on every project. All our work is centred on the human experience, and that's one of the main reasons our clients love to work with us. You can find out more about how we work at https://error.agency/work-with-us <https://error.agency/work-with-us>

In general, we like to hire people who:
	• care about other people and how they think
	• understand the importance of the human in the process of building something technical
	• love to learn new stuff
	• have an opinion, preferably supported by evidence (although gut feel is important too)
	• can articulate their thoughts clearly, to both colleagues and clients
	• can adapt their skills and interests to the task at hand, thinking laterally about a problem
	• are driven to produce excellent work, but also know when to compromise

How you fit into the team is as important to us as the skills you have; if you think you’d be a good cultural fit for us, you’ll find your niche and add value to the business. This will be a hands-on development role, but we might want you to help with client workshops, teaching, training and writing too. Job roles are loosely defined at Error, and we all pitch in when something needs doing. You'll need to be within an hour or two of UK time, and able to work in the UK - if you're somewhere in Europe that's fine, but we don't think it's feasible to work across continents at the moment.

You'll be building, supporting and maintaining Ruby on Rails websites and applications for a variety of clients, as well as helping to build internal tools, and our hosted WordPress CMS platform, Rooftop CMS. We're specifically looking for someone with a few years' commercial software development experience, who can pitch straight into writing production code across all our projects.

You should have familiarity with the following technologies:
	• Ruby and Rails
	• Javascript / ES6 and webpack
	• React and other javascript frameworks
	• Managing linux servers from the command line
	• Docker
	• Git
	• Redis
	• MySQL
	• CSS/SASS
	• PHP (for WordPress and other legacy projects)
	• Chef, Capistrano and other scripted deployment technologies

If you don't have experience with all of the above, that's fine! The most important thing is a demonstrable aptitude to learn, and a general interest in how stuff works. As a more seasoned developer, we'll look forward to seeing some previous work you've done, and discussing it in detail.

Please email me if you'd like to chat.

Best wishes

Ed
--