[LRUG] Config

Jonathan Fantham j.fantham at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 03:32:34 PST 2019

I have come up with solutions to a couple of these which look a little different to what you’re doing:

2: I’ve often solved this by encoding config environment variables first into json, and then into base64. You get your booleans, hashes, or array of integers out like so: MultiJson.load(Base64.decode64(ENV[‘my_var’])). Json has always been enough for me to describe my config and you don’t have to do any manual parsing at all.

5 + 6: In the past, I’ve solved this problem by declaring a list of expected environment variables in an initializer (maybe you can get your list directly out of your config wrapper?). You can check if the variables are nil on startup and if they are you can raise an error. This will prevent your app from starting so you know immediately if there were any disconnects between defined environment variable names and expected ones.

I know that’s not an answer to your main question but you might find those ideas useful.