[LRUG] Continuous * (Happy New Year!)

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 06:56:35 PST 2019

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 13:30, Samuel Joseph <tansaku at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What is your next goal? Release to production once a week? Once a day?
> > Continuously?
>
> I'd like us to be automatically releasing to production every week, and
> when we are on the ball pushing the changes along the pipeline manually
> that happens.  However the rebasing along the pipeline and waiting for
> the deploy and THEN manually checking the system is a chore mainly
> because of the need to remember to kick it off and come back for those
> manual sanity tests.  I speculate that if the rebasing along the
> pipeline was automated we'd be more likely to release each week and not
> end up with a backlog of changes that aren't in production.

Someone already asked this, but what does “rebasing along the pipeline”
mean?  I’d expect to do some rebasing on my feature branch to pick up
changes to the main branch, but that deploys would be that I merge my
branch into master/develop/whatever and that goes automatically to a
develop/uat/preview environment.  Then <something happens> and I do a
merge-commit of that branch onto staging and it goes automatically to the
staging environment.  The <something happens> happens again and I do a
merge-commit of the staging branch onto production and that goes
automatically to the production environment.  If you’re doing rebasing
instead of merge-commits here (or even ff merge’s) something seems complex
as rebases aren’t guaranteed to not need human intervention. Right?

The other thing that confuses me is that it sounds to me that the manual
checks are the blockers, not the “rebasing along the pipeline”.  As others
have said, I’d be looking into automating those steps as much as possible
if I wanted to improve the process.  If they can’t be then I’d look into
automating a “hey the rebase onto <environment> has happened, and you
started it, so you should now do those manual checks” notification to keep
everyone on their toes.  Maybe also some “Hey, X commits are on "master"
but not on “production”, sort it out!” notifiers too.