[LRUG] Thoughts on the future of Ruby and Rails?

Mark Burns markthedeveloper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:20:47 PST 2019

You’ve picked the wrong list for an unbiased opinion.

I might choose Rails myself. And I often do for side projects.

However, I’ll focus on giving you some reasons why not to choose Rails.

Hard to hire and I believe this will continue to be the case. My subjective
opinion is that it’s harder to hire in inverse proportion to the popularity
of the language and it’s productivity. And as interest is somewhat
objectively dwindling I believe this will continue to get worse.

And as it’s productive, businesses can achieve their financial goals more
quickly and pay engineers more to keep them.
So there’s swings and roundabouts.
You can mitigate this by hiring contractors and/or more expensive people,
but some companies do complain about the difficulty in retaining ruby
skillsets.

You’re likely to end up with a heavily coupled codebase. You don’t have to,
and I have some relatively honed practices for avoiding this, but it’s not
The Rails Way. And you’ll find some resistance to decoupling efforts both
from the framework itself and engineers who are used to The Rails Way.

You’re going to still feel like JavaScript is a bit of a second class
citizen. It’s much much better now since webpack integration but it’s still
not the same as working in a pure node environment. And you are going to
build apps that use JavaScript.

Those are some initial thoughts. I’m sure there are a ton more interesting
pros and cons yet to come from the list.