[LRUG] Thoughts on the future of Ruby and Rails?

matthew nash mnash at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 23:58:55 PST 2019

First time poster, and silent admirer of Ruby and the effect its had on my career.

Tiptoeing round your question about CRUD apps, what resonates is the issue around choice and Ruby’s popularity.  I sympathise with you folks involved in pure web development, serverside or otherwise, as things are now overwhelming.

In my job, i’m lucky enough to use ruby.  Used it for 8 years to parse rows of fiddly csv data.  I also use it for webdriver test automation, and now AWS Lambda functions.  I’ve never touched rails, but only because i’ve never needed to.

I’ve been guilty of worrying about this popularity/job prospect question too much in the past.  “Ooh ruby is down on itjobswatch”.  “Maybe i should start using Node. Maybe Go or powershell. I’ll dust off my python knowledge maybe.”
 But the same thing always happens... i just go back to using Ruby...
A) because i’m a dad of 2 and need to be objective with my spare time.
B) in terms of productivity, it still reigns supreme.  It can declaratively express my intentions better than any other lang.

Its the little things that add up!!
Quick ranges with (...)
Sugar for string arrays, %w()
Enumerable on all collections.
Whitespace freedom
Tons of built in methods.
Variable assignments are values

And many more...so many benefits that you discover while trying to use a different lang to solve the same problem.

I dont think the stranglehold that java and c# have will ever fade, and i’ve stopped caring.  I’ve seen little widespread awareness of the benefits of ruby when i’ve been for interviews.  Thats just the way, but I’ve felt very positive about Ruby lately.  AWS has given a good opportunity to Rubyists by supporting it natively on LAMBDA and so I hope we’ll begin to see more heterogeneous code bases. Ruby functions living alongside Node, Python et al in one domain.  In step, we’ll see no more job adverts stating “must have java experience”.
Even if this isnt the future, i can’t imagine using any other language for what i do and so i’ll keep spreading it’s message.  What is that message?  I guess it’s the same one i saw when i attempted (and failed) the first ruby quizz question. “use ruby, live longer”.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone