[LRUG] anyone *really* understand sprockets :-)

Samuel Joseph tansaku at gmail.com
Thu May 16 03:57:09 PDT 2019

Hi LRUGers,

Hope you're all well.

I was trying to email you all yesterday, but I fell foul of the list
100Kb limit on emails again :-(

I've now popped everything in an SO post
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56148334/rails-asset-pipeline-javascript-syntaxerror-unexpected-token-export

but I wanted to reach out because I think this is tricky issue that will
likely only be solvable with input from someone who knows sprockets
really well - and of that made me think of LRUG :-)

The long and short of it is that I have a situation where sprockets
appears to be handling node module dependencies differently on heroku vs
my local machine.  I assume there is some loose setting or version or
something that if I can find then I can get consistency, but despite my
best efforts I can't seem to lock it down.

Does anyone feel like they have a good sense of how sprockets in Rails
makes decisions to inline js dependencies vs using the es6 `export`
function?  I have asked the sprocket people, but no input yet
https://github.com/rails/sprockets/issues/602 :-(

Many thanks in advance

Best, Sam