[LRUG] Thinking of switching from engineer to manager - thoughts?

Asfand Qazi asfand at cloudership.com
Wed May 15 05:26:17 PDT 2019

Hello you lovely Rubyists, you.

Now that family has come along, I've been thinking of settling down a bit
in my career and going from contractor to management. Perhaps I do not
enjoy engineering as much as I used to, perhaps I want to be able to have a
clear promotion path I can follow for more money, perhaps I want to be in
charge (as a servant-leader) of a bigger challenge than one person can
tackle, perhaps I want to do something about diversity, or perhaps I want
to boss people around and humiliate them in front of their colleagues.

OK probably not the last one, but we'll see.

I know there are several types of managment/leadership positions, from
purely engineering leads, to "middle-managers", to CTO/director types, but
I just wanted to ask:

What do those who made the jump feel about their move? Level of
satisfaction? Would you do it again if you had the chance, or do anything
differently? Does it pay off financially?

Thanks

Regards,
    Asfand
    cloudership.com