[LRUG] [JOBS] Full Stack Developer at Giki Social Enterprise

James Hand james.hand at giki.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 10:08:13 PST 2020

A job with a wide ranging role at a social enterprise with a clear environmental mission.

Giki builds tools to help people cut their environmental impact and live more sustainably. We're a small team, and there's a lot to build, so we need some help! We're looking for someone to work across our existing stack, building out new features, refactoring existing code, and continuously making performance improvements. This would involve some independent work, as well as close collaboration with our existing developer. You'll have a lot of opportunities to shape the tools, providing ideas and suggestions for future development, as well as making decisions on how new features should be implemented.

Our current stack is based on Ruby, which we use to handle all our data processing and imports. We use Rails as our API framework, Postgres for our databases, and React.js to bring our front-end to life. The Giki Badges app is written in React Native. We also use ElasticSearch to power our searches and for a little help processing our data. We take pride in our code and we aim for best practice. We test-drive our development and integrate continuously wherever possible, but we're pragmatic and forgiving if we fall short.

There is a lot of freedom to choose the best tools for the job, and we would love the benefits of your experience in helping us shape the Giki architecture. We would also appreciate your help in forming and maintaining good working practices, ensuring that our processes are efficient and robust, and contributing to a calm, mutually supportive and enjoyable working environment. We love to code, but we code with a purpose, and we like to have fun doing it.

It would also be incredible if you understand the climate and ecological emergency that we face, and the need for all of us to act now in whatever way we can, to help everyone tread more lightly on the planet. Please get in touch if you want your code to do some good.

The job is London based, mainly home working (we meet up twice a week) and a permanent role.

James Hand, Co-Founder
Giki Social Enterprise<http://www.gikibadges.com/>