[LRUG] Remote talk – Conscious Coding Practice: The Three Concrete Steps

Tekin Süleyman tekin at tekin.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 04:06:06 PDT 2020

Hi folks,

Your fellow Rubyists at NWRUG <https://nwrug.org/> are hosting another remote talk next week (Thursday 18th) and you are all invited.

This time we have Noah Gibbs <https://codefol.io/> sharing a talk about how conscious coding practice can help us improve our software development skills:

You feel guilty about not knowing enough “Computer Science”. But that isn’t what you’re still missing in your coding. If you could just pick up any problem and solve it, you wouldn’t care if you used a formal-sounding algorithm to do it.

There’s a way to get that “fingertip feel” for coding. And it comes from mindful, conscious practice.

Sounds abstract, doesn’t it? Instead, it’s very simple, specific and concrete. We’ll go over the basic steps, the pitfalls, and how to do it. It works whether you’re a beginner or an expert. You’ll be able to create coding studies for yourself, not just find other people’s exercises that are already worked out for you.

This talk is in Ruby. But the technique works with any language, library or paradigm. It's also good for pairing.

Full details for the event can be found over on our website <https://nwrug.org/events/june-2020-conscious-coding-practice-the-three-concrete-steps>.

You must register on Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/North-West-Ruby-User-Group/events/jdlpqqybcjbxb/> if you would like to attend. On the day we'll send out a message via Meetup  with details on how to attend the Zoom call. Their emails sometimes get flagged so check your spam folders if you don’t see anything. As with our in-person events our code of conduct <https://nwrug.org/code-of-conduct> applies to all attendees so make sure you are familiar with it.

Cheers,

Tekin