[LRUG] [JOBS] Senior Ruby on Rails Developer - Permanent up to 70k - fully remote

Charlie Beaton charlie at marshallrp.com
Wed Oct 7 06:58:08 PDT 2020

Hi all – I have a permanent opportunity working for an electric car company, the role is fully remote.

If anyone is interested and would like to find out more, please get in touch.

Charlie 😊

Job Description
The IT team is at the start of a significant period aiming at simplifying our architecture, improving the performance of our applications and adapting our working practices.  Due to this we are looking to expand the team with a Permanent Senior Ruby on Rails Developer.
We work in a collaborative environment using agile techniques, where you will be working with different departments to come up with the best possible solutions.
The core languages of our codebase are Ruby, Perl and Oracle PL/SQL. Although primarily a Ruby on Rails developer, you will often at times find yourself getting stuck into our Perl and Oracle PL/SQL codebase. Ruby shares many similarities with Perl.<https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-from-perl/> Having the aptitude to pick up new languages and remain forward thinking when working with Legacy systems is crucial.  <https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-from-perl/>
Our goal is to have a strong Ruby on Rails architecture serving all of our customer-facing users, whilst bit-by-bit we re-architect and modernise our Perl Back-Office applications which serve our colleagues.
The Development team consists of QA, Business Analysts and Developers. Our ideal approach to project work is iterative, where requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between a self-organising and cross-functional team.
Due to the changes listed above the Development team is in the Forming stage, where Ruby and Perl are learning how to work together to combine old with new, and move towards more agile, sustainable working practices which you can help form.
Our tech stack includes Perl, Ruby, Rails 5, Rails 6, Webpack, React.js, Redis, Terraform, AWS, New Relic, Ansible, Oracle, Postgres and Boomi.
Personal development is sought after, you will be given an opportunity to build Business and Personal Objectives against what makes you tick. Tech conferences, talks, workshops and training can be built into your development plan.
The ideal candidate is interested in keeping relevant with cutting edge technology and sharing their learnings with the team, naturally being reciprocated. We want to create an environment where you can continue to grow, even when the project you are working on at the time may not be technically challenging (it happens).

We need someone who is resourceful in getting things done — a productive team member that is both independent and collaborative and should be comfortable taking ownership of projects and building scalable solutions.

Doing self-driven research or asking the other individuals questions where they are most knowledgeable, our ideal teammate is constantly looking to learn something new and become better at what they do.

This is an opportunity to join a business with huge growth potential and an IT team at the beginning of a journey where you can be key in setting its direction.
Responsibilities

  *   Being a chosen Technical Lead on projects, you will be expected to contribute to story writing and estimation sessions at a higher-level
  *   Attending agile ceremonies such as stand-ups, retrospectives etc
  *   Communicate effectively with stakeholders and build relationships with users around the business
  *   Communicating with third-party developers when we collaborate with other development houses
  *   Working with members of the business at all levels, to formulate technical solutions to meet business needs
  *   Producing good quality, well-structured code. Always thinking about performance
  *   Responsible for implementing new architecture to support our products and identifying the right tool for the job
  *   Mentor other developers and coordinate project work and facilitate collaboration
  *   Document technical architecture approaches
Requirements

  *   Deep knowledge of the Ruby programming language and the Rails framework
  *   Experience working with a wider Development Team (QA, BAs etc)
  *   Experience working in an agile environment

  *   Experience integrating with third-party APIs
  *   Experience in database design and administration (PostgreSQL)
  *   Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment
  *   Expertise with version control (Git)
  *   Expertise with testing (i.e. RSpec & Selenium)
  *   Ability to work independently and self-manage
  *   Great written communication skills
Bonus (but not required)

  *   Experience with a Micro-Service Architecture
  *   Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
  *   Experience with Data Warehouses
  *   Experience orchestrating environments with Terraform
  *   Experience provisioning environments with Ansible
  *   Experience building with, testing with, releasing and managing Docker images
  *   Experience with Capistrano configuration
  *   Experience using monitoring tools to identify bottle necks and areas for optimisation
  *   Experience with UI/UX processes and/or tools

Benefits
Wide range of benefits including:

  *   Competitive Salary
  *   Pension scheme
  *   Discretionary bonus scheme (subject to scheme rules)
  *   Generous holiday entitlement with the option to purchase additional days
  *   Group Life Assurance Scheme
  *   Shopping discounts
  *   Private Medical Insurance (after probation)
  *   Salary Sacrifice Car Scheme (after probation)
  *   Cycle to work scheme (after probation)
  *   Childcare vouchers (subject to scheme rules)
  *   Dental plan (subject to cost, after probation)

Ms. CHARLIE BEATON  |   RECRUITER

Mobile:          +44 (0) 7769 9444 22
Office:            +44 (0) 203 667 4921
Switchboard:+44 (0) 844 504 6000
Fax2Email:   +44 (0) 844 504 6001

www.marshallrp.com<http://www.marshallrp.com/>

The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential,
intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorised disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance on its contents are strictly prohibited.
Please reply immediately if you receive this e-mail in error.