[LRUG] Does Rails have an image problem?

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Wed Sep 2 02:22:21 PDT 2020

On 17 Aug 2020, at 16:29, Edmond Lepedus <ed.lepedus at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I’ve been asked questions like “Isn’t Rails abandonware now?”, been pointed to StackOverflow’s developer survey (https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2020#technology-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-other-frameworks-libraries-and-tools-loved3 <https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2020#technology-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-other-frameworks-libraries-and-tools-loved3>) as ‘evidence’ for NodeJS’s superiority and been told that “the majority of Rails consultants make their money on migrating people to other platforms”.

In case it’s ever useful, as a counterpoint to the data in the StackOverflow survey, 93% of respondents to the latest Planet Argon survey said that Rails remained their server-side framework of choice (https://rails-hosting.com/2020/#is-rails-your-server-side-framework-of-choice <https://rails-hosting.com/2020/#is-rails-your-server-side-framework-of-choice>).

That strongly suggests to me that StackOverflow's 50.7% for Ralis "of developers who are developing with the language or technology but have not expressed interest in continuing to do so” is not telling as simple a story as it seems.

— James