[LRUG] Managed Hosting (UK Based)

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 01:01:24 PDT 2020

I guess an important question is how managed are you talking about?

Managed hosting as in someone looks after the hardware, but you're still on
the hook for the OS an your app or managed as in you just ship the
application and they manage everything else?

Probably any UK host would be ok for the former - have used BrightBox and
ByteMark in the past, but neither of them were specifically "rails based" -
you had to bring your own config and setup ruby + rails for your app.
These days I'm lazy and can't be bothered with doing that via
chef/puppet/ansible/whatever-it-is-we-use-now and so I'm mostly interested
in something that runs as much of the infrastructure as possible for me,
and the only services I know for doing that are Heroku or maybe Google
Cloud Engine (I've never used it so I don't know how it compares), neither
of which have an actual based-in-the-UK service zone as far as I'm aware.