[LRUG] [JOBS] A month or so's NodeJS work, spread over three months

Matthew Karas m at m.ki
Mon Feb 22 02:43:30 PST 2021

Hello everyone. I must apologise again for posting an opportunity, which
has nothing to do with Ruby, but I always meet great people via this board,
despite not usually having any Ruby work on my plate.

A wonderful company, which I advise, called Macat, needs some help. As well
as having written and tested some new critical thinking tests, which are
implemented on a 3rd-party platform, they have created a library of
analyses of seminal works across university-level humanities subjects. What
they have achieved on the latter, is quite extraordinary, and is working
well in paper form, but they had a false start, some years ago, at creating
a digital version.

They now have a budding global business because critical thinking tests are
becoming a prerequisite at various universities. In parallel, the books
continue to sell well, but the two things have never really been joined up,
which would make a unique product, and provide some new ways to develop
established, testable cognitive skills.

The next step is to build a new MVP of the digital library, from which to
iterate future innovations:

They have the content almost ready to go, but need to implement things like:
- user authentication
- subscriptions and other tariffs
- conditional access - some content free, some not
- (rudimentary) content management, i.e.:
      - create/edit some pages at the top level of he site - product blurb
etc
      - rotate some links to examples of the free content
      - ingest new analyses from a variety of existing structured file
formats
- implement media streaming (probably using a managed service)
- integration of external learning features, using LTI

They have a great full-stack coder, but he is fully deployed, working on
finessing the look and feel ready to go live.

What we'd like is someone to do back end, but probably in spurts over two
or three months, and - crucially - using whatever tools will get us there
quickly, like using reliable services with good APIs for authentication,
payments and media streaming - avoiding reinventing the wheel where
possible, but also joining in the discussion, where we really want to
innovate.

It is currently hyper-lean, but the team behind the work, includes
interesting, motivated people, trying to create something of real value. If
you are interested in the product, and in innovations in e-learning, there
is also the chance to become a permanent member of some future,
post-fundraising team.

Regardless of that, if this short-term, part-time assignment might be
interesting to you, or someone you know, even if only as a way to get a bit
of extra cash, please get in touch.

All the best
Matthew