[LRUG] Objects that are neither classes nor records but something in between

Mark Burns markburns at hey.com
Thu Jun 24 02:18:58 PDT 2021

It seems that there’s two sides that we are probably all balancing every
day.

On the one side we have code, developer time, structure, concrete-ness
and rigidity.

On the other side we have data, flexibility, and user time.

Most of the time we propose solutions that hand responsibility over to
the user and require code to turn the flexibility in the application to
depend upon data.

But some of the time, it is more efficient overall to retain this
structure and rigidity and keep things in code.

It’s a spectrum of hard coding, low development time, short term
thinking and under engineering on one side and complexity, upfront cost
and over-engineering on the other side.