[LRUG] [JOBS] Required: Rails craftsperson

Patrick Gleeson patrick.c.gleeson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:20:02 PST 2021

What an intriguing idea. Someone like me, who has relatively recently
*left* London,
would presumably now be paid up to £16k less to work for you than I would
have been if I'd been hired a couple of years ago. Does it follow that if I
had started working for you while I lived in London, and subsequently left,
you would have *reduced* my salary at that point? Surely not.

But if not, an enticing loophole appears, and we must ask ourselves: for
how long, and for what percentage of one's time, does one have to reside in
London to take advantage of the higher salary offer? Would it make sense to
camp out at a friend's house in London (or even AirBnB it) for whatever the
required amount of time was before applying/after starting? It might sound
absurd, but if there's £16k gross *per annum* at stake, it might be a sound
investment in the long term.

In fact, is there a service one could offer, in the same way that limited
companies can get a registered address in London even if they're actually
based elsewhere, such that one could offer cheap virtual London
accommodation for remote workers looking to arbitrage London salary
weighting? How prevalent is this London bonus for remote work? Anyone want
to help me knock up a quick prototype?