[LRUG] Homes For Ukraine Scheme - tech to fill the gap?

Patrick Gleeson patrick.c.gleeson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 03:25:22 PDT 2022

Hi all,

It sounds like <https://archive.ph/ZSQiY> the initial implementation of the
UK's 'Homes for Ukraine' scheme will only allow individuals in this country
to offer housing to Ukrainian refugees if they can specifically name them.
This is because there's no vetting process, so de-risks opening up your
home to a total stranger. BUT for people who have a spare room or two and
are happy to take in a stranger, it makes it much harder to help.

There's a suggestion that Brits with spare rooms and Ukrainians trying to
enter the UK can find each other via social media, but that seems wildly
inefficient.

It seems to me that a really simple web-app, where people can list their
availabilities/requirements and find contact details of people who match,
could be knocked up in Rails in about an hour. And it could do a lot of
good very fast.

I'm nervous of doing it by myself, because I don't speak Ukrainian, and,
not having worked in anything to do with immigration/asylum/UK govt
processes, I'm not sure I'm on top of the legal/privacy/security
constraints a site like that would have to operate under.

Does anyone on this list feel more qualified than me?

Best,

Patrick