[LRUG] [ANN / VENUE NEEDED] June meeting details - Monday 10th (if we have a venue)

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Mon May 27 12:53:20 PDT 2024

Hi folks,

Consider this a pre-announcement of our June meeting.  It’s due on Monday
10th.

We have a talk lined up called "Things I've learned maintaining
OpenStreetMap” by Andy Allan.  The app that runs the open street map
website is a rails app and Andy is one of the maintainers of it.  He’s
going to talk to us about the challenges, one of which is managing the
pull-requests of the many keen, but not profressional rubyist, contributors.

I spoke to Andy after the pub in Oct about this and have been looking
forward to hearing it since then.

What we need though is a venue. Yes it’s nice to have food + drink
provided, but we really just need a space with decent wifi so we can
connect to zoom and get a recording and a screen to project on to.

Can you help us out?  Please?

Another talk wouldn’t go amiss either.  Maybe you’ve been lucky enough to
be selected for one of the various ruby confs happening across Europe and
the world and would like to practice?  Maybe you _weren’t_ lucky enough to
be selected and want to give the talk anyway?  Maybe you literally just
learned something and want to tell the world all about it?  Maybe you are
really keen to learn something and like the pull of a deadline of a talk
about it to force the issue?

Maybe you want to talk Fred up on his offer to turn the recent Array#each
implementation change into a talk?

Maybe you want to recite
a poem about why
ruby is
so fun
so expressive
so do |stanza|
  blocky
end

Anyway, help us out, please?

You can, should you wish, find out more by looking at the PR to write up
the meeting: https://github.com/lrug/lrug.org/pull/333/files

Cheers,

Murray & the rest of the organising team