[LRUG] pre-conf bash

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 02:14:07 PDT 2006

As the person who originally proposed the idea (even if it wasn't terribly
original, I can hardly claim to have invented the idea of Going To The Pub)
I should put myself forward for the organiser-contact role.  However, I'm
off on hols from the middle of next week until the 8th (and a healthy dose
of jet lag will probably mean I can't do anything till the day after), so
I'm not sure I'd be the most useful.

On the other hand, given that booking a pub is probably not going to be
neccessary* we just need to come up with a pub and let folk know (via this
list, the skillsmatter site, rails-talk, blogs, upcoming.org etc...) and I'm
fairly sure that could probably all happen in the week prior to the
conference.  How much notice do people need for an invitation to the pub; we
could probably even have a sign at PoR (with a map for the out of towners)
and still people would come.

So if people agree, I'm happy to be the contact and sort something out once
I get back from hols, but if we think it needs something done before that,
then I'm equally happy to let someone else do it.

Muz

*As I see it booking a pub probably only made sense if it was the only thing
happening, with two events you'll probably get less folk turning up for the
second and thus it's less likely to meet the bar-spend requirements of
booking a pub (unless people promise to drink a truly heroic amount of
booze).