[LRUG] Old Programming Books

James McCarthy james2mccarthy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 06:09:01 PST 2006

On 12/27/06, dblack at wobblini.net <dblack at wobblini.net> wrote:

> I have to say, computer books are one of the few types of book that I
> actually throw away or recycle for materials.  I'm totally into the
> idea of getting as much life as possible out of things, but by the
> time I threw away "Memory Management in DOS 5" (circa 1999), there was
> literally no chance that anyone would ever have any use for it.
>
> Nonetheless, I certainly support the idea of reusing them where
> possible.  There's just a pretty small window of time between the time
> I'm done with them and the time they're completely out of date.

I tend to give books to charity or friends, having usually shelled out a
good sum for them, I want them to get as much use as possible. I am
constantly surprised by what people still use. A few years ago I had a huge
clearout and found enthusiastic homes for ~ 20 MVS & ~ 40 OS/2 books via
ebay. I found freecycle doesn't have the reach that ebay does so post the
hard to give away ones there and only charge the postage costs.

--
James