[LRUG] PHP and Rails

Stephen Bartholomew steve at curve21.com
Wed Jul 19 05:49:44 PDT 2006

> I've run into the same problem trying to "sell" RoR to potential
> clients. Especially back home (Argentina), where RoR is completely
> unknown amongst programmers, clients fear that they will be left alone
> in the world with no one to mantain the system.
This topic as the potential to explode :0)  It should also possibly be
on the rails list...

My personal experience is that in a lot of cases clients don't *really*
care what platform/language a system runs on.  Our clients hire us to
create the best system we can to solve their needs - that includes
platform/language.  For us, that means using rails.

We've even turned a job down recently because the client insisted we
used a windows/.net setup.   We could have technically done it, but
we're not interested in making things harder for ourselves.

As far as i'm concerned (and many others), scalability isn't issue.  The
concerns have been addressed soooo many times i wont repeat them.

In terms of hiring people to maintain the system: firstly, i'd hope
they'd go to you :0)  Secondly,  there are tonnes of rails developers
out there and more are getting competent every day.  Thirdly, ruby/rails
is easy to pick up if you're half-decent developer.

Anyway, that's my preach over :0)

Steve