[LRUG] Presentations for July meeting

Jonathan Paisley jp-www at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jun 28 13:46:33 PDT 2006

> It'd be about using YAJB (http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/yajb/)
> as when I needed to do something JRuby was just prior to that "One
> more big sprint to the get-rails-running-on-it-finish-line" and I
> dismissed it out of hand for appearing to be less good.  Also JRuby
> gives you Ruby scripting inside Java (as compared to YAJB which is
> access to Java from Ruby) and in my newly fitted rubyist hat I
> deemed that to be A Bad Thing.

I think JRuby is a good low-barrier way to get the Java people
interested in Ruby. JRuby is a one-jar-file Ruby interpreter in pure
Java. It's not as fast as the native interpreter, but for simple
controller-type activities it's ideal. The latest release of the
Spring framework has got support for JRuby built-in (used in examples
to write web controllers), so hopefully its popularity will increase.

I hadn't heard of YAJB before, so I'm going to have a look at it now.
Thanks!