[LRUG] Learning ROR

Harjeet Taggar harjeet.taggar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 04:34:19 PST 2006

Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding RoR and I thought this would be
the best place to ask it.  I've only recently starting teaching
myself programming (I run a website and decided it was time to stop
relying on other people to do all of the coding) and have started
with PHP since that's what my site is built in.  However I've been
advised to stop learning PHP and go straight into RoR as I'll be
building applications far quicker.

I was wondering what people thought about this.  In terms of my
business, the site is PHP but I have enough developers at the moment
so there is no urgent need for me to learn PHP in that respect.
We've also been thinking seriously about converting over to RoR
anyway and I though perhaps setting myself the goal of rewriting the
site in Ruby could be a good way to learn and it'd be a cool challenge.

Finally - as someone who is pretty new to programming but tends to
pick things up pretty quick, what is the best way to approach
programming and are there specifically any particularly good ways to
learn Ruby?

Thanks,

Harj