[LRUG] Learning ROR

soledad penadés | sole listas at soledadpenades.com
Thu Nov 9 07:09:48 PST 2006

Hi!

As I've said lots of times already I'm now in the process of learning ruby
as well so I'll relate my experience.
First time (approximately one year ago) I tried to go the shiny way, just
going directly to RubyOnRails, with the scaffoldings, and all that shiny and
bouncing web2.0 stuff. It's cool but I reached a point in which I didn't
understand the syntax of some examples - because I hadn't a decent knowledge
of ruby itself so I wasn't able to progress anymore.

Then I went for the Poignant's Guide. It's cool and entertaining but in my
case it didn't serve me as a real-real basis, too much dialectic and comic
strips for people like me trying to quickly get an understanding of ruby and
be able of escaping from php as soon as possible.

So I've just started with the Pick Axe - best option ever! The introduction,
specially in the 2nd edition, is nice and clean, goes straight to the point
with very good examples. Now I understand funky things such as the magic
"yield", blocks, iterators (best idea ever since the tea was invented!), etc
(just let me advance a bit more and I'll enumerate for you all the chapters
and what I liked more of each of the ruby features!).

When I get a bit more of practise with ruby I'll probably re-start again
with the Pragmatic's Programmers guide to Rails (i think it was Agile web
development with Rails or something like that), which is the first book I
started with but got a bit lost when wanting to do something advanced as I
told you :)

The "Rails Recipes" book was also nice but only when you know rails, and for
specific cases.

Obviously this is web focused because that's my main concern and way of
earning £££, but I intend to introduce ruby in as much of my coding as
possible. Specifically, I want to experiment with ruby and opengl which is
something which looks interesting as well... and looks suitable for a
project I have in mind.

Hope this helps!

Sole