[LRUG] FYI: Ruby for Symbian OS Released

Eleanor eleanor at goth-chic.org
Wed Nov 22 13:23:19 PST 2006

On 21 Nov 2006, at 17:56, Murray Steele wrote:
> But the Ruby they've released is only for 2 of the 3 or 4 Symbian
> OS's out there (UIQ and S60), which only covers <random_guess>1/2</
> random_guess> the available Symbian phones (and that can't be a
> particularly large percentage of all phones out there in the
> wild).  Given that, surely any Boss-Man is going to say: "Yeah we
> could do it once in Ruby for those special Symbian phones that
> support it and then again in J2ME for everyone else, or just do it
> once using J2ME and save the time on the ruby version of the client
> for making our server side part of the equation the market-beater."

Some of us might not care so much about supporting all those other
phones lol
Quite a few of the projects I'm involved with have a mobile component
and being able to do the proof-of-concepts in Ruby should be a real
timesaver compared to J2ME. After all, if it was Java I liked it
would be Java I'd be using for most of my work :p

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----