[LRUG] Mongrel

soledad penadés | sole listas at soledadpenades.com
Thu Nov 23 01:33:30 PST 2006

Hi guys!

I am curious. Just discovered what mongrel is some days ago (no kidding, and
I haven't been in a bubble these last months), and I wondered what do you
use for deploying apps in production servers.

In my hosting they used to recommend an hybrid lighttpd + apache solution
(apache proxying requests to lighttpd running my rails app in a different
port, with a subdomain), but seems that now the latest trend is mongrel.

The docs say rails does not perform very well concurrently and thus is
better to have a "cluster of mongrels". Any experience on this?

The amount of memory that it can use it's kind of scaring me, even if it's a
very simple application that I'm thinking of, as it's a shared hosting and
they have a "samurai process" which kills resource-consuming processes.

(I was thinking of creating one of those dynamic dns's and host it in my
home server, but somehow I'm not fully convinced)

Anyone  feels like sharing experiences in deploying rails apps?

Sole the Rails newbie :)