[LRUG] Mongrel

Jonathan Conway jonathan at agileevolved.com
Thu Nov 23 02:42:58 PST 2006

We moved to mongrel a long time ago and it's made our lives a lot
easier. No more
fcgi weirdness, memory leaks and fcgi processes just dying suddenly.

Unfortunately Rails isn't thread safe unlike some other Ruby web
frameworks and because
of that you'll need more than one mongrel if you're going to be
serving anything
substantial or doing anything that involved file uploads.

We've got two different deployment configurations going on at the
minute, the first is Apache 2.2
proxying to mongrel though not as resource efficient, I've found it
rock solid. The second configuration
is Nginx proxying to mongrel which we've found stable and far more
easier on system resources than Apache.

Cheers

Jonathan

T. +44 (0)20 7099 7486