[LRUG] On learning Ruby/Rails

Luke Redpath contact at lukeredpath.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 02:27:35 PDT 2006

> Also, does anyone have any tips regarding "unlearning" all the awful
> PHP I'm familiar with, especially it's awful OOP mode, which I never
> really got to grips withl, so I can start afresh with RoR instead?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pierre

Try and use Ruby as much as you can, not just in the context of a
Rails app. Write shell scripts in it, learn things like Rake to help
you automate your life. Try writing some simple libraries. Throw
yourself into learning its Test::Unit framework or alternatively,
RSpec (rspec.rubyforge.org). Buy Programming Ruby 2nd Edition and
really read it. Read lots of Ruby (not just Rails) related blogs -
you'll eventually pick up on what is known as "The Ruby Way" - there
are often many ways of doing things in Ruby but there is usually one
preferred Ruby style - "The Ruby Way".

Maybe something like a small bug tracking application would make a
change from the usual blog/todo list examples.

Don't discount the usefulness of simple toy projects like these
though - whilst they aren't very interesting or complex from the
domain side of things, they can be useful for playing around with new
tricks and features in Rails edge, such as the new RESTful style
controllers/routes and things like the simply_helpful plugin.

Cheers
Luke