[LRUG] On learning Ruby/Rails

James Darling james at abscond.org
Thu Oct 19 02:31:56 PDT 2006

I felt that the project you make in 'Agile Web Development with
Rails'  was quite good at teaching me and making something along the
way. I did that and dived straight into using RoR for a client,
nothing like the deep end to learn to swim. I wouldn't really
recommend that though, It was not a time sensitive project.

One of the best part of ruby for me is the readability, and hence the
easiness to learn from other peoples code, and less time spent trying
to figure out what your doing (counting brackets, searching semi-
colons).

I therefore would call Ruby (and rails) and very 'deep-endable'
language. Just do one of those things on your to-do list, like a
personal site custom CMS, or maybe a to-do list.

James Darling
Abscond Design
james at abscond.org
07811407085