[LRUG] Stealth Group!?

Robert McKinnon rob_m_mckinnon at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 08:08:01 PDT 2006

At an event last week, I had a chat with Sarah, organizer of Girl Geek
Dinners (http://www.londongirlgeekdinners.co.uk/), about how to make a
user group more accessible for women attendees.

Sarah's noticed women are more likely to go to an event if they
personally know other women who are going, or at least know that other
women will be there. Obviously there's a complex set of factors
involved, but since Sarah's been active in encouraging women to attend
tech events, I'm sure she's on to something with this point.

Bringing this back to our group, I'd like to encourage everyone to
invite female acquaintances who might be interested in Ruby along to a
meeting. When you invite them, you can maybe let them know a) that
other women come along, and b) if you think it's appropriate, indicate
you can put them in touch with other women who might be going. Guess
you'll know your friends best and whether this is really an issue for
them, versus them just not being interested in Ruby!

The December BBC Backstage party could be a good time to invite people
along to an event, so they can meet others from LRUG and see we're
quite a welcoming fun bunch, for geeks anyway! Also London Girl Geek
Dinners are another community that'll be in attendance at the party.

It's been a great day of discussion on the list!

cheers,
Rob