[LRUG] Next Month - Call for participation

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 03:02:24 PST 2007

Hi all,

I was thinking about next months meeting, and wondering if rather than
saying "Hey, who wants to do a talk?", it might be an idea to find out what
people are interested in hearing something about.  Maybe then someone will
say, "Oh, I know a bit about that, I'll say something.  I'd have suggested
it myself, but I didn't think anyone would be interested."

I'm also quite interested in the suggestion Tom Armitage made about short
"lighning-talk" style presentations, as I think they'd open up the floor to
more lively debate.  Let's face it, with only 5 minutes you've got to be
opinionated as you ave no time to explain your reasoning and that's bound to
cause some sparks in a way that a 15 minute presentation where you can
explain yourself more clearly wouldn't.

So, with that in mind, feel free to suggest topics big and small.  To get
the ball rolling I'd be interested in:

* RSpec - how does it differ from bog-standard Test::Unit and, perhaps most
importantly, how it should it's pronunciation differ from "Arse Peck" to
avoid embarrassment.
* inject() - people are always harping on about how amazing and yet
underused this method is.  You've got 5 mins; prove it!
* Piston and/or svk - there's a lot of buzz about these, anyone care to give
a little "vendor" demo?

So, anyone else?

Muz