[LRUG] Funding a start-up?

benjohn at fysh.org benjohn at fysh.org
Thu Jan 11 09:23:45 PST 2007

ps - I'm talking about venture capital here, by the way: equity that's
secured against a share in your company.

Getting hold of cash by borrowing from your mates and the bank is
another matter. The bank will usually match what you can raise yourself.
This process very strongly selects for risk takers who are prepared to
front their own cash.

It is worth remembering that not all projects need a big lump of cash.
Unless you know a way of getting a big lump of cash, then I would favor
a project that can start off small and grow from there.