[LRUG] another beginner.. ruby but not rails

graham graham at theseamans.net
Thu May 3 10:51:33 PDT 2007

Hi,

This isn't so much of a question as a comment and wonder whether other
beginners are running into the same thing...

Rails is all very nice, but the idea of starting with a complex
framework and a new language both at once seemed a bit much (how do you
know if your problems are due to language or framework?). So I thought:
start with a project to get used to the language, then when I'm happy
with the syntax, available libraries etc move onto rails. This seems
straightforward, until you do hit problems - when you discover that ruby
documentation resources seem to be becoming completely dominated by
Rails, and anything about Ruby itself (in a web context, not the pure
language) seems to be quite old and limited. For example, there seems to
be very little about eRuby (compared with for example the amount of
on-line documentation about mod_perl). I keep running into problems in
understanding how the language's scope rules interact with the web
context, or getting a feel for what would be good practice in a web -
but not rails - context, and finding that googling and books both give
me a very limited amount of information.

How do people feel about this? Is it a case of 'if you want to use ruby
on the web you're wasting your energy not using Rails'? Or do I just
need to refine my google skills? or just bring some code to the next
ruby meet ;-) ?

Cheers
Graham