[LRUG] Mentoring Meetups

Eleanor eleanor at goth-chic.org
Tue May 15 05:44:42 PDT 2007

On 15 May 2007, at 11:05, Stephen Bartholomew wrote:
> The way that seemed most popular was to have an application that we
> work on as a group.  It makes sense to develop something for LRUG -
> maybe somewhere we can have profiles, arrange meet-ups etc.  I know
> this has obviously been done a thousand times before, but it'd be
> good to have focus.  It'd be great to develop an super innovation
> application that changes the world but I think it's more important
> that we have something that covers all the main parts of an
> application.
>
> We can work through the whole application from design to deployment
> and ongoing maintenance and development.  During that process, the
> group as a whole should be able to fill in and improve on the
> knowledge of individuals.  The mentor's role here would be one of
> guiding the group and development rather than dishing out knowledge.
>
> The application itself can then be bought to the standard meet-ups
> for discussion.  That way we could still tap into the minds of the
> uber-developers that we have in the group.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it along to last night's meeting so I
missed the chance to discuss this, but  speaking from my experience
of group developments at Uni. I'm not sure this is the best approach
to adopt. We're quite a large group so any collaborative project is
bound to require a lot of organisation and for those relatively new
to programming I think this approach will fail to engage them
sufficiently to get over the initial level of frustration when
they're picked up enough Ruby to be doing something relatively
ambitious but not yet acquired the experience necessary to know that
even the toughest problems can be solved with the right combination
of tenacity and deviousness.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to devise a series of tutorial
problems that newbies can solve on their own, building in difficultly
over time. We could publish both the problems and the various
solutions that are submitted on the LRUG site and that way build a
useful resource for Ruby newbies everywhere. By studying these
solutions those who are new to programming as well as to Ruby would
also develop that most useful of skills: code literacy.

As an additional aid to newcomers to the programming world I think we
should also compile a list of useful books to help them develop a
broader understanding of the craft. Whilst it's nowhere near as
difficult as most non-programmers assume, there's still a lot of
knowledge out there that can greatly simplify the task and giving
newcomers a leg-up on acquiring should hopefully improve their skills
quite dramatically.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains