[LRUG] Mentoring Meetups

Stephen Bartholomew steve at curve21.com
Tue May 15 06:37:45 PDT 2007

I'm totally agreed with you regarding the tutorials. Also, some sort
of reading list would be great and quite quick to put together.

The reason for discussing the group project idea was that a lot of
people found that they picked up a huge amount by seeing applications
being developed by experienced developers.  However, those people
tended to have previous programming experience so perhaps this style
would not be suitable for complete newbies - I'm not sure - it'd be
interesting to hear other opinions.

There is also the concern about whether or not people will be able to
make it along to these sessions enough to make it worth while.

However, I think it's important to get the idea out there as a
possibility.  During discussions it was decided that there a few
things we can do immediately and then think about other bigger ideas
as we go.

With your suggestions, the current 'immediate' list is:

1.  Welcome code questions on to the main list (with a look to review
if this becomes a issue)
2.  Compile a 'recommended reading' list of books to get started (i'd
suggest limiting this :0) )
3.  Devise some small programming problems to work on (this was also
suggested last night - a 'code kata' style approach, possibly working
in small groups at meets)
4.  Some way of publishing the results and discussions on the LRUG site

Depending on time constraints of those involved, another idea could
be to have 'requests for explanations'  where someone picks up the
challenge to write a short article about a particular subject (or
point people to an existing article).  The REST discussions where a
perfect example of this.  A high percentage of the audience were
unsure of what REST was and left confused at the April meet-up.  I
know there is a lot of information on the net regarding these things
but the more experienced members of the group may be able to offer
guidance for a particular subject.

Thoughts?

Steve