[LRUG] Learning Rails

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 04:03:50 PDT 2008

You mentioned that you are a bunch of java / php guys so these books from
the Pragmatic Programmers might be useful:

>From Java To Ruby: http://pragprog.com/titles/fr_j2r/from-java-to-ruby
Rails for PHP Developers:
http://pragprog.com/titles/ndphpr/rails-for-php-developers
Rails for Java Developers:
http://pragprog.com/titles/fr_r4j/rails-for-java-developers

Now, I've not read these, so this is not a recommendation (they might be
awful), just pointing out that they exist.  They might be a good way to ease
the transition as they'll presumably focus on the stuff you already know and
what that looks like in Ruby / Rails, rather than assuming nothing and
staring for scratch.

Also worth pointing out is that although the Rails for PHP book is quite
recent, the Rails for Java book is over a year old.  Given the rate of
change in Rails at the moment even the PHP one might be out of date
depending on which version of rails they target.  BTW this comment probably
applies to every rails (not ruby) book out there at the moment.

Hope this helps,

Muz