[LRUG] Low usage production server options?

Simon Tokumine si at tinypla.net
Sat Jan 12 16:12:20 PST 2008

Slicehost gets my vote. Excellent uptime and speed so far.

Si

On 1/9/08, Mark Blackman <mark at blackmans.org> wrote:

> Exonetric (www.exonetric.com) also do FreeBSD virtual private servers
> for 12.50/month.
>
> - Mark
>
> On 9 Jan 2008, at 16:42, Chris Parsons wrote:
>
> > Again for the record, Bytemark do a VM product for as little as £15/
> > month - you get your own 'virtual dedicated server' so you can play
> > around as much as you like with it.
> >
> > We're running a production website for a client on one of these £15
> > VMs and it's handling a surprising amount of load.
> >
> > They'll set up linux for you - you'd need to do the RoR specific
> > admin.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > On 9 Jan 2008, at 16:26, Daniel Tenner wrote:
> >
> >> For the record, for £30-40 a month you can already get a dedicated
> >> server (e.g. from ServerBeach). You'll have to do all the admin and
> >> setup yourself, but they do provide ways to reinstall the server and
> >> reboot it via their panel... So you'll definitely learn how to do it.
> >>
> >> For learning how to work with linux, though, nothing beats installing
> >> it on a local machine (e.g. an old computer you had stuck in a corner
> >> somewhere). Ubuntu is, imho, the friendliest to beginners, and it's a
> >> good introduction to Debian, which is good for actual production
> >> servers.
> >>
> >> Daniel

Japancentre.com
212 Piccadilly,
London,
W1J 9HX,
United Kingdom

Tel: 0870-162-0255
Email: enquiry at japancentre.com
Web: www.japancentre.com

VAT No: 219 5216 69

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and further distribution,
copying, or communication is prohibited. No contract or undertaking may be
inferred from this e-mail or any attachments unless that intention is
explicitly stated.