[LRUG] UK salaries? Just curious...

James Darling james at abscond.org
Fri Mar 7 04:46:35 PST 2008

> I guess the problem here is that even 30K+ salary workers cannot
> afford to go out every weekend, whereas in other parts of the country
> and in other countries is possible even for students, in spite of the
> higher wages in absolute figures here.

I go out every weekend. And during the week. Quite extravagantly in my
mind.
If you let it, London will take any salary and swallow it happily,
with little reward. But it doesn't take much to not let it. I don't
penny pinch, or lack in anything I can say I really need, but I live a
life which I deem quite wealthy. Heck, sometimes I have too much money
that I can't think of how to spend sensibly - http://flickr.com/photos/abscond/sets/72157603862728267/

If you have no major money absorbers (family, health etc), and don't
find 30K enough to live on comfortably, then to be harsh, you need to
get over yourself.

This is not to say I think developers get paid too much, quite the
opposite often. But it's not like anyone I've met, even on the bottom
of the scale, has anything but a very comfortable living wage.

Apologies if this email offends anyone, I've tried to catch all the
variables in this, but realise that there are many situations where
money can be a genuinely sore subject. However, as soon as the word
cocktails is mentioned, I think we're beyond that.

James